For “New” or “Not-yet-confident” yoga teachers, some simple pointers to bring into your teaching pattern:
Firstly, keep up a regular yoga practice outside of studio (solo practice, aka self-practice, aka home practice).
Secondly, when teaching, find time to take 2-3 breaths, breathing deeply into the belly, and keep your shoulders down. Do this often.
- Keep your feet firmly on the ground when standing
- Stand, or sit, upright. An upright spine is essential for projecting an uplifting energy, and for speaking properly
- Your voice should always fill the whole room (this can be practiced and improved)
Choose your words carefully:
- Speak less, smile more, make eye contact
- Be sweet with beginners (this is important)
- Frequently get away from instruction. Bring in some personal input, a story, a joke, or just be silent and “feel the air”
- Be authentic, energizing, and speak in an inspirational way
You will feel the improvement all across the board. Good luck!