This is a superbly powerful, energizing, exhilarating backbend. My Hot Yoga Evolution-style techniques work well for any style of hot yoga… Bikram, Moksha, Barkan Method, Absolute Yoga…
Train in stages, and proceed slowly. Train at the speed of the body, yes? Make sure you are nicely warmed up.
Actually, being quite tired in your practice session at this point would be helpful in ‘breaking through defenses’.
Take at least 3 sets Camel Pose, Ustrasana.
Once in the 3rd set Camel, can you see your feet behind you, or you are close to seeing your feet behind you?
Then, Full Camel is the next step.
- Place your knees slightly wider apart, and feet slightly closer together, pointing in.
- Look back behind you, LIFT THE CHEST, and move backwards with your hands in prayer position, continue to arch your spine (pic 1).
- You may extend your arms more for a deeper stretch, and hang here for a while (pic 2).
- Find a way to place your hands on your feet, thumbs inside. Pause. (Pic 3).
- Walk your hands up one at a time toward your heels, eventually ankles. Place your head between the feet.
- Next step: chin to the floor, elbows together! (pic 6)